Investment fraud is more common than you might think. Read 5 quick facts about fraud in Canada.
- 4.6% of Canadians believe they have been a victim of fraud.
- 27% of Canadians believe they have been approached with a possible investment scam at some point in their life.
- Over half of Canadians (56%) agree they are just as likely to be a victim of investment fraud as anyone else.
- Over half of fraud victims (56%) lost all the money they invested in the scam.
- Just 3-in-10 (29%) of those who believe they have been approached with a fraudulent investment said they reported the most recent occurrence to the authorities. Half reported it to either local police or the RCMP, while 4% reported it to their provincial or territorial securities regulator.