Investment fraud is more common than you might think. Read 7 quick facts about fraud in Canada.
- 4% of Canadians and 3% of Manitobans believe they have been a victim of fraud.
- 18% of Canadians and 21% of Manitobans believe they have been approached with a possible investment scam at some point in their life.
- Over half of Canadians (55%) and Manitobans (51%) agree they are just as likely to be a victim of investment fraud as anyone else.
- Over half of fraud victims (56%) lost all the money they invested in the scam.
- Just 3-in-10 (30%) of those who believe they have been approached with a fraudulent investment said they reported the most recent occurrence to the authorities. 38% of Manitobans reported it to either local police or the RCMP, while 4% reported it to their provincial or territorial securities regulator.
- Manitoba victims lost between $1,000-$10,000 on average. Over half of fraud victims (56%) lost ALL the money they invested in the scam.
- 1 in 4 Manitobans know a senior who has been a victim of at least one type of financial abuse.