MSC issues an Investor Alert on Felmina Alliance
Winnipeg, (April 2, 2013) – The Manitoba Securities Commission (MSC) is warning investors about a “high-yield investment” scheme offered through a promotional website for a company called Felmina Alliance purportedly operating out of New York and/or Panama. Felmina Alliance is not authorized to carry out business in Manitoba.
The Commission is concerned that Manitobans may be involved in this investment scheme. A high-yield investment scheme promises unrealistically high returns while disclosing few details on how such returns are generated. The website offers investors an “investment opportunity” to earn 1.0 to 1.6 per cent interest daily.
“This is the third investor alert that the MSC has issued within this past month” said Len Terlinski, Investigator with the Commission. “We can’t warn people enough about the importance of doing a thorough check into investment opportunities. If they invest and it is not legitimate the likelihood of getting their money back is slim to none.”
The following three steps will help you to protect yourself from falling victim to an investment scam:
1. Check the registration status of the individual or firm http://www.securities-administrators.ca/nrs/nrsearch.aspx?id=850
2. Check for disciplinary action taken against an individual http://www.securities-administrators.ca/disciplinedpersons.aspx?id=74
3. Check to see if a company or individual has been cease traded http://www.securities-administrators.ca/cease_trade.aspx?id=171&linkidentifier=id&itemid=171
In addition to carrying out the above checks, it is important that you: If you have received unsolicited phone calls about investment opportunities please contact the Manitoba Securities Commission at (204) 945-2548 or toll free at 1-800-655-5244 and ask to speak to an investigator.
- Do not send money to someone you only know from an unsolicited phone call
- Do not give out personal information
- Research the investment
- Report suspected scams
The Manitoba Securities Commission is a Special Operating Agency of the Government of Manitoba that protects investors and promotes fair and efficient capital markets throughout the province.
For further information please contact: Ainsley Cunningham Manager, Education and Communications Phone: 204-945-4733 Cell: 204-619-1756